The cooler temps have us feeling like fall is fleeting, but since autumn is technically here through December 20, we still have plenty of time for some fall fun! So we put on our thinking caps and tried to think of fun fall activities for kids that can be done with families and caregivers. Therefore, we proudly present to you 25 Must-Do Fall Activities for Kids (and keep reading until the end to find our free downloadable checklist!)
25 Must-Do Fall Activities for Kids
- Go on a hike – There are plenty of options to choose from in Jackson County! Check out our big list of hiking locations to discover a new-to-you spot.
- Jump in the leaves – This one always seems to be one of Big’s favorite things to do in the fall, no matter his age.
- Complete a fall rainbow scavenger hunt – We love completing one in every season. Check out the details here.
- Visit a farm – Any farm will do, but allama us to tell you about this one.
- Visit a pumpkin patch – We know this one seems like a no-brainer, but we just had to include it. Find the perfect local spot here!
- Read some fall or Halloween-themed books – Head over to search Jackson District Library’s catalog and put some books on hold!
- Go to a trunk-or-treat – There are so many to choose from, it’s SPOOKY!
- Attend a Halloween Event – Our community really puts on a show this time of year, so head over to our event calendar to find an event that works for your schedule.
- Take a road trip – What a perfect way to see the dazzling Michigan colors! We have some day trips on the blog – check them out here.
- Create leaf rubbings – grab some paper, crayons, and some fallen leaves – and voila! Beautiful fall artwork to display.
- Play at a park – The cooler temps mean you just might be able to stay for hours. Find SO many parks here.
- Have a fall/Halloween movie night – Whether you choose a classic like It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, or something spooky, this is sure to be a fun evening!
- Have a hot chocolate date at a local coffee shop – Another item inspired by Big – he highly recommends the mint hot chocolate at Biggby, or regular hot chocolate at Musgrove Coffee Co.
- Cook together – Fall is the perfect time to make some comfort food, and to teach your kiddo some life skills! Check out our family’s favorite chili recipe here.
- Make a fall craft – There’s no shortage of inspiration for this online, but could we recommend heading over to Pinterest? We’d love to have you follow our account while you are there, and then you can search for a fall craft!
- Have a campfire – make s’mores and tell spooky stories – pro tip: use Reese’s peanut butter cups or Ghirardelli chocolate/caramel squares to up your s’mores game!
- Make a boo bag to surprise your neighbors with – Check out this post from Lansing Mom for inspiration.
- Go on a Halloween Scavenger Hunt – We love these scavenger hunts from HGTV!
- Make homemade trail mix – Will you go salty? Will you go sweet? Will you do both together? Head to the dollar store and grab a whole bunch of items, mix them together in a big bowl, and enjoy your snack!
- Create some DIY fall/Halloween decorations – Target has a whole line of Halloween wooden blocks that can be painted – Little painted one last year, and it’s the perfect keepsake/decoration. We are also big fans of drawing pumpkins as decorations (keep it simple, y’all).
- Go trick-or-treating – no description needed! Ha!
- Donate to a food bank – Fall is the perfect time to give back. Have your kiddos pick out some canned goods at the grocery store, and then drop off your donations! Not sure where to drop off your donation? Check out Jackson Michigan Giving Back to the Community!
- Have a game night – Chilly temps have you staying inside? Fall is the perfect time for a game night. Leave a comment and let us know your family’s favorite game.
- Create a Halloween Playlist and have a dance party! Don’t forget to add Monster Mash and Purple People Eater!
- Visit the Fairy Forest – The Fairy Forest of Grass Lake changes decor for each season – and trust us when we say – you do not want to miss the Halloween set-up! We visited after dark, and it was the perfect, spooky experience!
Love our list? Download our PDF Checklist to get started on your fall fun today!