There’s a new festival in town, and the Jackson Festival for the Arts is here to celebrate all of the different types of art throughout our community! Taking place from September 7-11, there is plenty of fun for all ages. While most events are appropriate for everyone, some do come with an “adult’s only disclaimer”. Never fear – Wonder and Wander – Jackson is here to highlight family-friendly and kid-friendly events. Keep reading as we break down the events day by day.
Thursday, September 7, 2023
The Jackson Festival for the Arts officially kicks off on September 7. You’ll find a variety of vendor booths set up at Horace Blackman Park from 3-7 p.m., and this will be fun to browse with the kiddos. We highly recommend the Sean Hages Inflatable Art installation that will be taking place at ART 634. This exhibit will be open free of charge from 5-7 p.m. – which makes it our kid-friendly pick of the day! (Please note, starting at 7:00 p.m. the event will have an admission charge, and kiddos will not be allowed to enter at that point).
Also, don’t forget to encourage your kiddos to enter their photos into the photography contest! The youth age bracket is for ages 5-17, and submissions are due by Saturday, September 9 at 5 p.m.
Friday, September 8, 2023
There’s plenty of kid-friendly fun coming to you from the JFTA on Friday.
- Kids create event and sustainable art exhibit taking place at Ella Sharp Museum from 10 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Film Festival and Rooftop Sketch at Jackson School of the Arts (Please note that some films may not be appropriate for children, but the rooftop sketch is open to all ages!) Tickets are required for the film festival ($3 donation suggestion), but the rooftop sketch is free.
- Art in Concert – Live Painters and Quartet at the Jackson Symphony Orchestra (tickets available now for a $5 donation suggestion at jacksonartsfest.com. This is a limited seating event, so get your tickets while they’re available)
Saturday, September 9, 2023
Check out these amazing family-friendly events brought to you by the JFTA on Saturday:
- Social Justice Art Show, Silent Auction, and Family Fun Day – taking place from 10 am – 2 pm at Segue, Inc. – at 212 E Biddle St., in Jackson
- Musical Parade from the Carnegie Branch Library to the Jackson Symphony Orchestra – event starts at 1:00 p.m.
- Community Music School Open House at the Jackson Symphony Orchestra from 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Sunday, September 10, 2023
Have a kiddo who is interested in photography, or loves taking pictures? Join us for the Bright Walls Guided Photo Walk! Starting at 8 a.m., this meet-up will meander throughout downtown, visiting plenty of photo-worthy locations. All ages are welcome, and this event is free! Click here to register!
So much art, so little time!
The Jackson Festival for the Arts team has worked tirelessly to bring these events to our community, and we hope you’ll head out this weekend to check them out! Find all of the details for these events and a full schedule of events at: https://www.jacksonartsfest.com/
Looking for more kid-friendly fun in Jackson County, Michigan? Check out our archives!